Hinduism almost certainly has a longer list of festivals than any other religious tradition, and there are considerable regional and denominational variations.
Festivals are generally times for celebration and remembrance.Other purposes are:
- To create a special atmosphere, diverting the mind from worldly concerns and joyfully focusing on spiritual matters.
- To invoke the soul's natural qualities by creating an environment replete with auspiciousness and the abundant gifts of nature.
- To give people spiritual impetus and inspiration, which helps them perform their daily duties.
- To dovetail the natural tendency for celebration with spiritual goals.
- To forge a healthy sense of belonging by peacefully bringing together individuals, families and communities.